To maintain a youthful appearance for as long as possible, injectable cosmetic treatments such as dermal fillers can be an excellent anti-aging measure. Fillers are designed to smooth out wrinkles and fine lines and add volume to areas that have lost plumpness over time. But what’s the best age to start using them?
What Can Dermal Fillers Treat?
As we age, our body’s natural collagen and elastin production decreases, leading to a loss of skin elasticity and volume. Additionally, lifestyle factors such as sun exposure, smoking, and stress accelerate aging.
Dermal fillers can treat a variety of cosmetic concerns related to the aging process. They’re commonly used to reduce wrinkles and fine lines, add volume to areas that have lost fullness, and enhance facial features.
Specific concerns that dermal fillers can address include:
- Nasolabial folds. These lines run from the corners of the nose to the corners of the mouth. Dermal fillers smooth out these lines and restore volume to the cheeks.
- Marionette lines. These creases run from the corners of the mouth down to the chin. Dermal fillers fill in these lines and add volume to the jawline.
- Thin lips. Dermal fillers add volume to the lips, giving them a fuller and more youthful appearance.
- Under-eye bags. Dermal fillers fill in hollows under the eyes, reducing the appearance of dark circles and bags.
- Sunken cheeks. Our cheeks can lose volume as we age, causing them to look sunken. Dermal fillers plump and contour the cheeks, giving the face a more youthful appearance.
Dermal fillers can also be used for lesser-known cosmetic purposes, such as reducing wrinkles or adding volume to the hands, temples, earlobes, neck, and décolletage. They can also be used for liquid rhinoplasty and to improve the appearance of acne scars.
The Best Age To Start Fillers
So, what’s the best age to start getting dermal filler injections? While there is no definitive answer, some professionals recommend starting in your late 20s or early 30s before significant volume loss and wrinkles appear—a trend sometimes called “prejuvenation.” This prevents or delays further signs of aging and improves collagen production. However, it’s important to note that everyone’s skin is different, and some people may benefit from starting fillers earlier or later.
Early signs of aging to watch for include nasolabial folds, under-eye hollows, and thinning lips. These areas can benefit from dermal fillers to restore volume and improve overall facial harmony. However, it’s important to avoid overfilling or creating an unnatural appearance since this can be counterproductive to achieving a youthful look.
Starting dermal filler injections at the right age—whatever that is for you—can have many benefits, including improved skin texture and hydration, increased collagen production, and reduced appearance of wrinkles and fine lines. It can also reduce other aging effects and help you delay surgical rejuvenation.
Maintenance and Touch-Ups
While fillers can produce excellent results, they’re not permanent. Depending on the type of filler used and factors such as injection location, metabolism, age, and lifestyle, the results can last anywhere from 6 to 24 months. To maintain your results, you’ll need to schedule regular touch-ups.
Request a Consultation
If you’re considering dermal fillers and want to speak with a board-certified plastic surgeon and experienced injector, call our Denver, Colorado, office today at (303) 253-7686 or request a consultation.