When it comes to versatility, few cosmetic treatments can match dermal fillers. In Denver, we use fillers such as JUVÉDERM® and Restylane® products in multiple ways that have nothing to do with plumping lips or minimizing wrinkles. (Although we perform plenty of those treatments, too!)
As an expert injector and a double board-certified facial plastic surgeon, Dr. Keith Ladner skillfully uses fillers to address a range of concerns that extend beyond the more common treatments. These include the concerns listed below, which require extensive injection experience to get the desired results and avoid complications.
Unexpected Dermal Filler Injection Areas
Fillers can be used on virtually any area of the face and body. Here’s a look at 7 places that patients typically don’t associate with filler injections:
- Hands: Most people who want to retain a youthful appearance focus on their faces but overlook their hands. The hands are constantly exposed to the sun, and the resulting thin skin on the backs of the hands can become saggy and bony-looking, undercutting the treatments performed on the face. Radiesse® is a versatile filler that restores volume and smooths out the skin on the back of the hands. It is approved by the FDA to correct volume loss in the hands. Its results are immediate and expected to last 1 to 2 years.
- Temples: Lost volume in the temples—the areas just above the cheekbones and below the ridge of the brow—creates obvious signs of aging, but it’s rarely a place patients ask for filler injections. Temples that appear sunken or concave can be corrected with a small amount of filler such as Restylane Lyft® or JUVÉDERM VOLUMA. Results will usually last about a year.
- Earlobes: Yes, your earlobes can also benefit from filler injections. When you think about signs of aging, ears may not be the first feature that comes to mind, but they wrinkle and sag, too. Older women who have worn heavier earrings for most of their lives may even have stretched-out earlobes. Filler treatments, including Restylane or other hyaluronic acid fillers, can plump up earlobes and restore a more youthful appearance.
- Neck and décolletage: You may have heard the phrase “tech neck” to describe horizontal lines that develop from constantly looking down at smartphones or other devices. These types of wrinkles aren’t caused by lost volume, so fillers that stimulate new collagen production—such as RADIESSE® or Sculptra® Aesthetic—are the best choice for the neck and décolletage area. Results develop gradually as new collagen is produced, and the results can last a year or more.
- Eyebrows: BOTOX® is typically thought of as the nonsurgical remedy for aging in the forehead and the brow, but you can get a “liquid browlift” with fillers, too. A small amount of filler injected into the hollowed-out area just below the brow can create a lifted and more alert appearance. Fillers usually used below the eyes, such as Restylane, also work well here.
- Acne Scars: Indented scars caused by acne cause many women and men to feel less confident about their appearance. Hyaluronic acid fillers can smooth the scars by adding volume, or a filler that contains poly-L-lactic acid (PLLA) such as Sculptra stimulates collagen production to minimize the appearance of the scars. Many patients benefit from combining filler injections with laser skin resurfacing treatments.
- Nose: Often called a “liquid rhinoplasty” or a non surgical nose job, filler injections can change the nose’s shape and create attractive contours. Because fillers add volume, injections aren’t a good choice for patients who want to reduce the size of their noses. But women and men who have considered rhinoplasty but aren’t sure about getting surgery can temporarily “test-drive” changes with filler injections. You can learn more about a non surgical nose job in our related blog post.
Whether you’re thinking about getting fillers in more traditional locations, such as lip injections, or want to address one of the concerns mentioned in this blog post, choosing an expert injector is important. You can request a consultation at Ladner Facial Plastic Surgery to discuss dermal fillers at our Denver practice using the online form or by calling (303) 253-7686.